This delicious and satisfying keto eggplant parmesan is everything an Italian meal should be. It couldn’t be simpler to create with only eggplant slices, mozzarella cheese, and homemade marinara sauce. With this simple recipe, you can prepare this healthy and low-carb alternative to the traditional.
Looking for a keto-friendly, low-carb recipe? This eggplant parmesan, made with just eight ingredients, including eggplant, mozzarella cheese, and marinara sauce, is the simplest recipe to fulfill all of your desires in a healthy manner!
It’s one of our favorite keto eggplant recipes, and it’s simple enough for the whole family to prepare.You may also make and freeze this recipe for a quick weekday supper. Begin right now by following the step-by-step instructions below.
- What is eggplant parmesan?
- Main Ingredients
- Side dish & serving ideas
- Keto Eggplant Parmesan
- Is aubergine OK for keto?
- Is eggplant parmigiana the same as eggplant parmesan?
- Is Baba Ganoush ketogenic?
- What can I use instead of eggplant in eggplant parmesan?
- Which vegetable is not allowed in keto?
- When should you not eat an aubergine?
- Why is my eggplant parm soggy?
- Which is healthier eggplant parmesan or chicken parmesan?
- Did Trader Joes discontinue eggplant parmesan?
- Why is hummus not keto?
What is eggplant parmesan?
Traditional eggplant parmesan (also known as Melanzane alla Parmigiana) is prepared in a frying pan by shallow frying eggplant slices in oil, then topping with tomato sauce and cheese and baking until everything is cooked through.
Since its debut and popularity in America, the original recipe has undergone several modifications. Our adaptation is quite similar to the original recipe, with just minor changes to make it keto-friendly. These are the variations:
- Rather of cutting eggplants lengthwise, cut them into discs. Slices of -inch thickness work well. The spherical form facilitates frying and stacking eggplant.
- Replace ordinary marinara sauce with a low-sugar version to save calories.
- Making it keto-friendly by replacing breadcrumbs with almond flour. If you are allergic to nuts, coconut flour will also work nicely.
The main ingredients for this recipe are:
Two medium-sized eggplants should enough. Some people cut them lengthwise, but I like to cut them into -inch thick discs. The circular form makes them easy to pan-fry and stack with the rest of the ingredients.
Tomato Sauce (Passata)
Any store-bought version is OK as long as it is sugar-free. If possible, get a chunky sauce.
Instead of breadcrumbs, we cover the eggplant discs with almond flour. If you have a nut allergy, coconut flour will work well too.
Side dish & serving ideas
Roasted vegetables, such as bell peppers, zucchini, and squash, or stuffed peppers, pair nicely with eggplant parmesan. It goes well with a simple green salad. I like making an avocado, cherry tomato, and red onion salad.For additional ideas, see our page on what to serve with eggplant parmesan.
You can dress up this basic salad by topping it with bacon pieces or chopped nuts. Low-carb side dishes for eggplant parmesan include spaghetti squash Alfredo, stuffed peppers, and mashed cauliflower.
Keto Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 eggplant ends, cut into 1-inch thick circular slices
- 1 lbtomato sauce/passata
- 1white onionfinely chopped
- 3clovesgarlicthinly sliced
- 1 cupsmozzarellathinly sliced
- cupparmesanfinely grated
- 1cupalmond flour
- 2tspextra-virgin olive oil
- kosher saltto season
- black pepperto season
- Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet or cutting boards in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and let aside for an hour to sweat. Sprinkle the opposite side halfway through. After that, pat dry with paper towels.
- On both sides, coat the eggplant slices with almond flour.
- In a cast iron skillet or pan, heat the olive oil, garlic, and onion over medium heat. 5 minutes later, the onions should be transparent.
- Add the tomato passata sauce, salt, and black pepper to taste. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a separate pan over medium-high heat. Fry eggplant slices for 2-3 minutes each side, or until softened in the middle and crisp around the edges.
- Arrange a single layer of eggplant slices in a casserole or baking dish. Top each slice with some tomato sauce and mozzarella. After you’ve covered all of the eggplants with tomato sauce and mozzarella, add another layer of eggplant slices and continue the process.
- Add basil and grated parmesan to the top completed layer.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes, or until the top cheese layers become golden brown and begin to bubble.
- Garnish with parsley before serving
Is aubergine OK for keto?
Is eggplant a keto-friendly food? Most emphatically! Make a variety of fresh, tasty recipes with it – just remember to keep track of serving quantities.
Is eggplant parmigiana the same as eggplant parmesan?
Consider Eggplant Parmigiana to be a vegetarian Lasagna without pasta, cooked with thin slices of eggplant instead of pasta, stacked with tomato sauce, fresh basil, and lots of melting cheese. It’s a low-carb dream come true, known as Parmigiana di Melanzane in Italy and Eggplant Parmesan in the United States.
Is Baba Ganoush ketogenic?
Baba Ganoush is a delicious Middle Eastern dip prepared of roasted eggplants (also known as aubergines), garlic, lemon juice, and spices. It’s naturally low in carbohydrates and high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and potassium, making it ideal for the keto diet.
What can I use instead of eggplant in eggplant parmesan?
In my situation, I’ve had a few huge zucchini appear out of nowhere, and this dish, a twist on eggplant Parmesan, is one of my favorite ways to utilize them. The modification here is quite simple: I just use zucchini instead of eggplant.
Which vegetable is not allowed in keto?
Vegetables are an important element of a ketogenic (or keto) diet. Celery, tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms are all good choices. Avoiding starchy foods such as beets, potatoes, and sweetcorn may be beneficial. Ketogenic diets limit the quantity of carbs a person may consume.
When should you not eat an aubergine?
If your eggplant is mushy to the touch, it’s a sign that it’s starting to rot. Furthermore, if the flesh of the eggplant is sticky, you should discard it.
Why is my eggplant parm soggy?
“Using too much sauce and cheese can also lead to a gooey dish, with the eggplant soft and not holding everything together as well as it should,” she explains.
Which is healthier eggplant parmesan or chicken parmesan?
Eggplant parmesan is a lot healthier for you than chicken, but it’s also a lot less filling. If you’re looking for a complete supper, chicken parm is a better choice. If you prioritize nutritional advantages, eggplant parmesan is your best buddy.
Did Trader Joes discontinue eggplant parmesan?
If you like eggplant parmesan, you’ll be (or would have been) in love with Trader Joe’s Eggplant Cutlets, which eliminate the need to carve up an eggplant. Unfortunately, even these must-have frozen meals were phased out in the autumn of 2019.
Why is hummus not keto?
Is hummus keto-friendly? Hummus includes chickpeas, which are not keto-friendly. While chickpeas are abundant in protein, they are mostly carbohydrates, and one meal may quickly take someone out of ketosis! Fortunately, you can make your own low carb version with a hidden ingredient- cauliflower!