Whether its to honor grannys recipe or just to try something new, one of the best (and most nostalgic!) ways to relax on Sunday is by treating yourself to Jamaican carrot juice. Here’s how to do it!
- What is Jamaican Carrot Juice?
- What is in Jamaican Carrot Juice?
- Jamaican Carrot Juice Calories
- How to Make Carrot Juice Jamaican Style
- Jamaican Carrot Juice – is it Worth the Effort?
- Why do you add milk to carrot juice?
- What are the health benefits of Jamaican carrot juice?
- Is carrot juice good for kidneys?
- How much carrot juice should you drink a day?
- What happens to your body when you drink carrot juice daily?
- What does carrot and milk do?
- What is the best time to drink carrot juice?
- Can we drink carrot juice at night?
- Is it good to drink carrot juice in empty stomach?
- What juice clears kidneys?
What is Jamaican Carrot Juice?
As a child, I loved carrot juice so much that the tip of my nose would turn orange! In hindsight, that was almost certainly a case of carotenemia luckily for you though, the alcohol in Jamaican carrot juice will keep you from drinking enough to turn yellow.
And yes, it is alcoholic! So its maybe not the best to pair with jamaican easter buns.
Despite its name, this drink isnt just another health fad as you mightve thought. In actuality, its a sweet alcoholic beverage traditionally enjoyed on Sundays, and can be as strong or as weak as you wish. In fact, you can entirely omit the alcohol if youd like!
While its certainly a main factor in this drink, thats not all that there is to Jamaican carrot juice
What is in Jamaican Carrot Juice?
Jamaican carrot juice is typically made up of five main ingredients carrots, alcohol (either a dark stout Guinness or rum), condensed milk, carrots, and some spices like nutmeg, ginger and vanilla extract.
Another popular inclusion is vanilla Supligen. Dont know what that is? Dont worry, Ive got you covered.
Supligen is a meal supplement made by Nestle and produced in Jamaica. While it can be drank on its own, its presence in Jamaican carrot punch cant be understated. Depending on where you are, it can be hard to source. If this is an issue, try ordering vanilla Supligen online.
Alternatively, replace it with vanilla Nutrament, Nurishment, or your milk of choice with some added vanilla extract.
As for the other ingredients, it just comes down to your personal taste. There are some variations, so Ill go over the two most common below.
Variations of Jamaican Carrot Juice
- Ginger-infused Jamaican Carrot Juice
While either (or both!) vanilla or nutmeg are always added, you can also add cinnamon and ginger.
- Carrot Juice with Rum from Jamaica
Instead of using a Guinness, you can add a shot or two of white rum to give your carrot juice a bit more of a kick.
Jamaican Carrot Juice Calories
Gauging how many calories are in Jamaican carrot juice is a little tricky, since recipes tend to vary. Still, you can expect a glass of this beverage to have roughly 160 calories.
How to Make Carrot Juice Jamaican Style
Makes: 1 large jug
While this excellent video by YouTube channel David and Jody uses Jamaican carrot juice with Guinness recipe, you can choose to use rum instead or opt out completely! To make a non-alcoholic version, simply omit the alcohol or use something like this (inexpensive) non-alcoholic rum.
While this punch is certainly a hit at parties, a non-alcoholic version is best to pair with the dessert after some Jamaican stew peas and rice.
|– 1 – 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract|
|– 1 can of Supligen (vanilla flavor)|
|– Sweetened condensed milk|
|– Ground or freshly grated nutmeg|
|– A pinch of cinnamon (optional)|
|– Small – medium piece of ginger (optional)|
|– 1 bottle of extra stout Guinness OR 1-2 shots of white rum|
|– 4 ½ extra large carrots, if using smaller carrots use more|
- Start by skinning and washing the carrots. Use a good quality peeler to speed the process up. Id recommend saving the peels for later (more on this soon). If you do this, make sure to wash the carrots before peeling use a bristle scrubber to clean it well.
- Now, chop your carrots they dont have to be perfectly even, just make sure they fit in the blender. At this point, you can choose to boil your carrots. If you choose to opt-in this step, simply boil your carrots in some water until soft. This takes roughly ten minutes. If choosing to add ginger, chop and add in with the carrots and before blending together.
- Once ready, add your carrots to the blender and use enough water to just about cover the carrots. Have you boiled your carrots ahead of time? Try adding half as much, using the same water you used to boil them. Blend until smooth(ish) its okay if its still chunky.
- Next, use a sieve to strain out these chunks. Press the pulp against the sieve to harvest all the juice. Work in batches if needed. Like other scraps, save the pulp to make a stock.
Flavoring your Carrot Juice
- Begin by gradually adding the Guinness to the carrot juice. Add in the majority of the bottle, saving just the last three centimeters of liquid.
- Now, put in 1 2 teaspoons of the liquid vanilla extract. If youre using syrup, add just a little less and adjust as needed.
- Add a teaspoon of nutmeg to the mixture. Make sure to mix your carrot juice before the next step.
- With a fork or whisk, pour your condensed milk while gently stirring. The most effective way to ensure the condensed milk and carrot juice mix is by waiting for the condensed milk to hit the bottom of the bowl, then using a circular scraping motion at the bottom of the bowl. Be sure to pour it in slowly whilst you do this!
- Once this is done, all thats left to do is adjust for taste and serve! If its not sweet enough, add a little more condensed milk. If it needs some more Guinness, add in the rest of the bottle that was saved earlier! The same goes for flavor if its lacking a little something, adjusting the spices will be sure to round out your punch. To finish, simply pour the carrot juice into your jug of choice and serve with ice after a plate of hot Jamaican boiled dumplings!
What to do with Leftover Carrot Peels
Reusing food scraps is not only getting the most bang for your buck, but also minimizes food waste! The easiest way to do this would be to everything to a pot and boil with water. After straining and reducing, youll end up with the perfect homemade veggie broth!
Alternatively, you could also do something more like the TikTok embedded above. However, if that doesnt seem a-peel-ing You can try making carrot your crispy carrot skins instead! To do this, simply follow this quick recipe by the same user.
Jamaican Carrot Juice – is it Worth the Effort?
While Jamaican carrot juice is certainly a very tasty drink, it does require a fair amount of prep work. However, if you have good quality tools, the time it takes to make this beverage is significantly reduced.
On top of that, its beautiful, vibrant orange color and fall flavors would make it an excellent choice for upcoming Halloween parties!
How long does Jamaican carrot juice last in the fridge?
Presuming you took precautions to keep the juice from spoiling, Jamaican carrot juice can last for up to a week when refrigerated. The best way to prolong your carrot juices shelf life is to store it in a sterile, tightly sealed glass jar in the fridge.
What is Jamaican carrot punch?
Jamaican carrot punch is just another way of saying Jamaican carrot juice. Its not uncommon and refers to the exact same beverage made from carrot, condensed milk, Supligen, alcohol, water and spices.
Jamaican Carrot Juice – Quick Jamaican Style Carrot Juice Recipe + More!
Making Jamaican carrot juice may seem taxing, but with the right tools, its as easy as ever!
1 large jug
- 1 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 can of Supligen (vanilla flavor)
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- A pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Small medium piece of ginger (optional)
- 1 bottle of extra stout Guinness OR 1-2 shots of white rum
- 4 extra big carrots, or more if using smaller carrots
Why do you add milk to carrot juice?
With a good amount of vitamin C and antioxidants, carrots make for an excellent source to boost immunity. When added to milk, it only doubles the nutritive value of the drink. Try this carrot milk drink at home and share your experience with us in the comments section below.
What are the health benefits of Jamaican carrot juice?
Jamaica Valley Carrot juice is a good source of beta-carotene, a type of vitamin A, which is one of the most powerful antioxidants. Vitamin A helps protect the surface of the eye and contributes to a strong vision.
Is carrot juice good for kidneys?
Carrot juice enables especially our hearts, lungs and kidneys to function at optimal levels (1). Carrot juice can decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke.
How much carrot juice should you drink a day?
To enjoy the benefits of carrot juice without consuming too much vitamin A or beta-carotene, drink no more than half a glass — or 4 ounces a day.
What happens to your body when you drink carrot juice daily?
Carrot juice is incredibly nutritious, providing potassium, several carotenoids, and vitamins A, C, and K. Drinking this veggie juice may help improve eye health, boost your immune system, and strengthen your skin.
What does carrot and milk do?
Highlights. Milk nourishes the dhatus, builds ojas, and balances the doshas. Carrots calm vata and kapha, boost immunity, cleanse liver and blood. Substitute carrot milk for your mid-day beverages.
What is the best time to drink carrot juice?
Carrots contain large amounts of soluble fibre which binds to cholesterol and then helps the body to excrete it as waste. So the best time to drink carrot juice would definitely be in the morning.
Can we drink carrot juice at night?
Carrots. In the Pennsylvania University study mentioned above, they found that consumption of the nutrient alpha-carotene was most closely associated with better sleep. Diets low in this nutrient were linked with trouble falling asleep quickly.
Is it good to drink carrot juice in empty stomach?
Drinking carrot juice on an empty stomach every morning increases the bioavailability of potassium and helps it get absorbed faster. This improves the blood flow in the arteries and veins and reduces blood pressure naturally. Once reduced, carrot juice even helps maintain healthy blood pressure levels.
What juice clears kidneys?
Juices made from fruits
Lemon, orange, and melon juice all contain citric acid, or citrate. Citrate helps prevent kidney stone formation by binding with calcium in urine. This inhibits the growth of calcium crystals, which can lead to kidney stones.